Collection of Information
Information You Provide
Tutoras collects information from you when you choose to provide it to us. For example, we may collect your information when you join Tutoras’ membership or pay for an Enrolment Payment Plan, otherwise provide information to us through the Websites, or otherwise contact us. The information we collect may include personal information – name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, date of birth, government-issued identifier, prior educational background information, studying history, and the content of any communications that we exchange, as well as non-personal information. In some cases, we require your personal information in order to perform a contract or to comply with a legal obligation.
Information Automatically Collected
Information Collected from Other Sources
Where permitted by law, we collect or receive information about you from companies to whom you indicate that you would like to learn more about the Course, companies that are our partners, or other entities within the Tutoras family of companies (collectively “Other Sources”) in order to update or supplement the information that you provide or that we collect automatically as described above in Information Automatically Collected. We may use this information to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect, to target our communications so that we can inform you of products, services or other offers that may be of interest to you, and for internal business analysis or other business purposes.
Our Combination of Your Information
We may combine the information we receive from and about you, via the Websites and from Other Sources to help us tailor our communications to you and to improve the Websites.
Failure to Provide Personal Information
Failure to provide certain information may make it difficult or impossible for you to access some services through the Websites (for example, to register for and complete Courses). You should ensure that personal information submitted to us is accurate and up-to-date. For example, we need a current email address to communicate with you about the Course in which you choose to enroll.
How We Use Your Information
Purposes for Collecting and Processing Personal Information
We process personal information under the following legal bases:
- To fulfill a contract or take steps linked to a contract, including:
- providing our services;
- verifying your identity;
- taking payments;
- communicating with you.
- To conduct Tutoras’ business and pursue our legitimate interests in marketing our business, ensuring that we conduct our business in line with our objectives, improving and developing our products and services, and keeping our records accurate and up to date. This includes:
- using your information to provide products and services you have requested and responding to any comments or complaints you may send us;
- personalizing your experience on the Websites and in any Course in which you choose to enroll and to help us to better respond to your individual needs;
- targeting advertising to groups of individuals with similar interests or characteristics through services offered by third-party Service Providers, such as Facebook Custom Audiences or other similar business tools;
- developing new products or services or conducting analyses to enhance current products and services;
- reviewing the usage and operations of the Websites and analyzing and improving the Websites (we continually strive to improve the Websites based on the information and feedback we receive from you);
- contacting you for legitimate business purposes;
- using personal information to invite individuals to take part in market research;
- where consent is not required by applicable law, for direct marketing purposes;
- protecting the security and functionality of the Website, including using personal information you provide to investigate any complaints received from you or from others about our Websites or our products and services.
- We conduct balancing tests for the data processing we carry out on the basis of our legitimate interests, which we have described above. To protect the security and functionality of the Websites. This includes:
- if you provide a credit or debit card as payment, using third parties to check the validity of the sort code or routing number, account number and card number you submit in order to prevent fraud.
- monitoring customer accounts to prevent, investigate and/or report fraud, misrepresentation, security incidents or crime, in accordance with applicable law.
- Where you give us consent. This includes:
- where consent is required by applicable law, sending you direct marketing in relation to our relevant products and services, or other products and services provided by Tutoras, its parent company, Tutoras Asia Limited, and the Tutoras family of companies;
- on other occasions where we ask you for consent, using the data for the purpose which we explain at that time.
- For purposes that are required by law. This includes:
- in response to requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation;
- using personal information in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes as necessary, including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation.
Use of De-identified, Aggregate or Anonymized Information
How We Disclose Your Information
Tutoras shares your information with other entities or individuals in the following circumstances:
- The Tutoras Family of Companies: Where you have expressed interest and given your consent, we share your information with our parent company, Tutoras Asia Limited, and within the Tutoras family of companies to provide you with information about other educational programs.
- Service Providers: We share your information with third parties that provide business, professional, or technical support functions for us. In particular, we use third-party providers for website hosting, maintenance, marketing services, courier services, certification services, business operations, payment services, and identity verification services (“Service Providers”). These Service Providers are only given access to your information to the extent necessary to process your information and/or provide services to Tutoras, and they are prohibited from using or sharing your information for any other purposes. Where permitted by law, Tutoras discloses limited information about you to Service Providers to serve relevant advertising on third party platforms to you or to other audiences.
- Fraud; Security: We access and disclose your information to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or other technical issues.
- Consent; Other: We share information with third parties when we have your consent, or otherwise as described to you at the point of collection.
Information Security and Data Retention
We are committed to protecting the security of your information. We maintain what we believe to be appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure your information and to prevent unauthorized access, maintain accuracy, and ensure appropriate use of your information. The accuracy, safety, and security of your information also depend on you. Where we have given you or where you have chosen a password for access to certain parts of the Websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask that you not share your password with anyone. Even though we do our best to protect your information, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure, and we cannot guarantee our security measures. We are not responsible for any unauthorized access to or acquisition of your information.
We retain your personal information for as long as we have a relationship with you. We also may retain your personal information for a longer period of time which enables us to:
- Maintain business records for analysis and/or audit purposes;
- Comply with record retention requirements under the law;
- Defend or bring any existing or potential legal claims;
- Address any complaints regarding the services;
- Enforce our commercial agreements;
Accessing and Managing Your Personal Information
If you have joined Tutoras’ membership or are enrolled in a Course, you may access and/or update your personal information through your user profile.
Your rights regarding your personal information may be limited, for example, if fulfilling your request would reveal personal information about another person or would infringe the rights of a third party (including our rights), or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping. We will inform you of the relevant exemption upon which we rely when responding to any request you make.
Our use of certain personal information is necessary for us to provide information to you about the Course or to provide services to you through the Websites or otherwise. If you choose not to provide this personal information or request that Tutoras delete or restrict the processing of this personal information, you may not be able to participate in the Course, and we may not be able to provide you with other services, including those provided through the Websites or advertised about the Course.
We collect and disclose for a business purpose the following categories of personal information:
- Contact Information and Identifiers, including real name, alias, address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, IP address, email address, phone number, account name, or other similar identifiers.
- Customer Records: such as name, signature, government issued identifier, physical characteristics (profile photograph), education, employment, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or other financial information (payment history).
- Usage Data, including internet or other electronic network activity information, such as browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement.
- Education Information, including information about education history or background.
Any information you may disclose through the Websites, such as on message boards, in chat rooms, or on other public areas, such as on webinars that you may attend about the Courses, may be viewed by others, such as your classmates and learning facilitators. Please exercise caution when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
Date of Last Amendment: 1 March 2020